Should you really spend money on a house you’re just about to sell in the first place?
Renovating your house before selling is the best way to get the most value out of your sale.
However, that depends on the type and extent of renovations you undertake.
Some renovations offer the best return on investment while others, as much as they improve your home, don’t significantly increase your selling price.
In this article, we will share some of the best, affordable and simple renovations you can do to your home to sell it faster, at a higher price.
If you can’t figure out the best repairs and renovation areas you should focus on, consider calling in a real estate agent or a renovation expert for some advice.
They can also share some insights on budgeting to help you plan your project and save some money.
Generally, only focus on areas that really need your attention and those that will improve the aesthetic value of your home.
Some primary areas you should focus on are the wall paint job (both exterior and interior) and all aesthetic and hygienic aspects of your kitchen and bathroom.
The kitchen and bathroom are probably the most scrutinized areas by most buyers.
What Are The Most Profitable Renovations For The Resale Value Of The House?
As earlier hinted, not all home renovations will significantly increase your home’s selling price.
Here is a rough estimate of returns you can expect from different renovation projects in Shelby County, KY. Here is a quick look;
• Bathroom: 75 to 100%
• Kitchen: 75 to 100%
• Interior or exterior painting: 50 to 100%
• Roof repair: 50 to 80%
• Replacement of boiler or heating system: 50 to 80%
• Basement finishing: 50 to 75%
• Adding a fireplace: 50 to 75%
• Installation of a hardwood floor: 50 to 75%
• Addition of a garage: 50 to 75%
• Replacement of doors and windows: 50 to 75%
• Addition of a terrace: 50 to 75%
• Central air conditioning: 25 to 75%
• Landscaping: 25 to 50%
• Concrete paving driveway: 25 to 50%
• Asphalt garage driveway: 25 to 50%
• Gate: 25 to 50%
• Pool: 10 to 40%
• Skylight: 0 to 25%
If you have lived in your house for several years already, chances are the walls have been repainted according to your tastes; texture, color, sheen, and all.
However, your tastes may not be the same as potential buyers’.
For instance, bright bold colors don’t resonate with most home buyers, and neither do dull, washed down shades.
If you want to learn more about colors, check out our previous post on Exterior Paint Colors to Avoid When Selling Your Home.
• Spend your time and money on the renovations that will add significant value to your final selling price.
• Potential buyers are strongly interested in the general outlook and aesthetic of your home–so if your paint job is failing, molds are accumulating or your walls are heavily stained, most buyers will shy away.
• Home repair, renovation, and improvement is a continuous process, and the more often you do it, the least you will spend to update you home during the sale.
If you need professional help in renovating and improving your home before you finally sell it, our experienced team at Serious Business Painting would love to assist.
Our services include exterior and interior painting and staining, and cabinet repainting. We serve the areas of Louisville, Shelby County, Oldham County, Anchorage, Prospect, and Jefferson Town, Kentucky.
Book a FREE estimate below or call us on 502-641-7969 if you need any more information.
You May Also like: